Alistair Thompson (2013)
Inducted into the A.M.A.H.O.F.(Inc) for 2013
Instructor of the Year – Jiu Jitsu
Inducted into the W.K.U.H.O.F. for 2013
Instructor of the Year – Jiu Jitsu
Date of Birth: 28 June 1961
Current Dojo: Halswell, Christchurch
Year Started Martial Arts: 1979 Karate, 1980 Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
Year Started Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu (SKJJ): 8th November 1992 (founding member)
Current Grade SKJJ: 6th Dan (Authenticated by Professor, Grand Master Steve Heremaia 10th Dan).
Other Grades: 1st Dan Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu, Yon Kyu Judo
Other Martial Arts Experience: Karate, Judo, Sumo, Naginata-do, Aikido , Iaido
Main Instructor: James Salter, Kancho, Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu
Other influencing Instructors:
- John Bonniface Shihan Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
- Paul Reti Shihan Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
- Stan Taylor Sensei Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
- Simon Polasheck Sensei Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
- Ken Logan Sensei Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
- Alan Cooper Sensei Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
- John Cooper Sensei Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu
- Renata Sadlier Sensei Multi System Specialist (Karate/Jiu Jitsu/Judo)
- Graham Spinks Sensei Judo
- Steve Heremaia, Professor, Grand Master, Black Dragon Jiu Jitsu
Favourite Technique: Any technique that delivers maximum pain and control to an attacker without injury
Most Memorable Martial Arts Moment: My first Student achieving Shodan
Other Magic Moments:
- The first time I entered a Jiu Jitsu Dojo
- Assisting with security at the First Ancient Martial Arts Expo in Adelaide 1988
- Visiting Japan 1989
- Building our own Dojo 2006
- Meeting and training with some truly wonderful people from around the world
Favourite Saying: The difference between ordinary and extra-ordinary is the little extra
Chronological Order of Grades
04th Nov 1990 – I Gained Shodan – 1st Degree Black Belt, at Sockburn Dojo under S Taylor Shihan Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu. Instructors present that day were J Salter Sensei, D Dickson Sensei, S Polaschek Sensei, K Logan Sensei, A Cooper Sensei, P Stokes Sensei, J Cooper Sensei, J Churcher Sensei. Also graded that day was M Shelly to Shodan in Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu.
08th November 1992 – J Salter Sensei and I resigned from Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu Assoc, stating that we intended to continue to train in Jiu Jitsu as we have always done however we would no longer use the Fuji Ryu name. This marked the birth of the Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu club.
24th March 1995 – I gained my Ni Dan – under J Salter Shihan at the Honbu Dojo in New Plymouth. This grading was designed to test the relevant areas to the grade of Ni-Dan. The following aspects were tested.
- My Knowledge was tested with a 400+ question theory test with a pass mark of 98%
- My Character was tested with a Ni-Dan Tanren (test), which involved sitting in seiza with raised arms for 1 hour – 5 min break – 1 hour – 5 min break repeated for 24 hours. Passed
- My Humility was tested with a Haiho Tanren (secret test) 3 months later – Passed
- My Teaching ability was then tested later that same day with Joy passing her Shodan grading demonstrating my ability to train a person from raw beginner to Shodan – Passed.
To date Alistair is the only person to have gone through this type of grading for Ni-Dan. This was to assess his character for the suitability to take over the leadership of Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu should something happen to James Salter, Kancho.
11th April 1999 – I gained San Dan – Under J Salter Shihan, at a Gasshaku in Hanmer. As part of this I was given the task of rewriting the Sakura Kan Syllabus.
8th Feb 2000 – Awarded the rank of Senior Instructor with Seibukan under R Sadlier Sensei
16th July 2003 – I gained Yon Dan – Under J Salter Shihan.
21st July 2008 – I gained Go Dan – Under J Salter, Kancho
March 2013 – Gained Roku Dan
Alistair Thompson – Martial Artist
In my martial arts career I have achieved many things such as, but not limited to and in no particular order;
- Personally travelled to Japan and formally laid a bone carving of Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu on Mount Fuji at a height of about 3000mtrs, 1989.
- Trained in Japan in various martial arts including Iaido, Naginata Do, Aikido, and observed Karate Do, Judo and a Kobudo exposition.1989
- Assisted with opening and running Dojo’s in Australia, 1984-86
- Assisted with creating the first New Zealand Naginata club, 1990
- Member of the NZ contingent in the 1st ancient martial arts exposition in Adelaide in 1988
- Was the registrar for Fuji Ryu Goshin Do Jiu Jitsu Assoc 1991-92
- Personally ran the Sockburn Dojo for 12 years.
- Personally built and currently running my own Dojo in Halswell in 2005.
- Personally trained, coached and developed Black belts including Joy Thompson – Yon Dan,
- Greg Bain – Shodan, Garron Starr – Shodan, Paul Gilmore Ni Dan, David Woodley Shodan.
- Introduced and assisted in grading of Mark Shelley, Renata Sadlier, Brent Williams, and Ray Sefton all of whom currently hold Shodan Gradings with Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu.
- Worked as a self defence instructor for the ChCh city council continuing adult education programme
- Became a Control and Restraint Instructor for the Department of Correction Public Prison Service 1998.
- I represented New Zealand working for the United Nations Transitional Administration of East Timor 2000-01, assisting with establishing a Prison System and specialising in Use of Force, and Control and Restraint training
- Became a Master Trainer in Use of Force and Control and Restraint Department of Correction Public Prison Service 2004.
- Awarded the rank of Senior Instructor with Seibukan in Feb 2000.
- Actively supported and assisted with teaching and advising Seibukan and Cobber-Kwai Dojo’s when needed.
- Personally ran many women’s self defence groups
- Motivational and fitness trainer for a colt rugby team (U18).
- Represented South Island in Sumo (U86kg)
- Have had training experience in Jiu Jitsu (various styles world wide), Judo, Karate (various styles world wide), Seibukan, Kendo, Iaido, Aikido, Naginata-do, Sumo, Kempo, Krav Marga, wrestling, and boxing, kick boxing.
- NZMAHOF Inductee 2011
- 5th Degree Black Belt – Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu (2008)
- Senior Instructor (Shihan) – Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu (2008)
- Self Defence Instructor – Various Community Groups (1987-2012)