Craig Bajraktarevic-Hayward (2011)
Inducted into the A.M.A.H.O.F.(Inc) for 2011
Martial Artist of the Year – Cacoy Doce Pares
Inducted into the W.K.U.H.O.F. for 2011
Martial Artist of the Year – Cacoy Doce Pares
Master Craig Bajraktarevic-Hayward was borne with a form of Spina Bifida and it could be said that he commenced his Martial Arts career then and there. Unable to walk until after major surgery at the age of three, his spirit, courage and determination was forged at this tender age. It is the mind of a warrior that sets us apart and makes us strive for excellence, and Master Craig’s mind and spirit fuelled his determination to be part of the action and not sit on the sidelines of life.
At the age of twelve Craig began his training when he took up Boxing under the tutelage of British Golden Gloves Champion Ron Symonds. This continued for a period of two years before his interests moved to music and more gentle aspects of the Martial Arts.
Looking to satisfy a spiritual rather than physical need, Master Craig commenced Tai Chi practice with Sifu Jim Gibbons who was also a practitioner of Eskrima. Sifu Jim encouraged Craig to take up the art of Eskrima and he was immediately taken with the fluid yet brutal nature of the art.
After recognizing his potential, Grandmaster Martin Gardiner graded Craig to 1st Class Brown Belt. Soon after, in the absence of the usual recognized teachers, Grandmaster Gardiner gave him the responsibility for teaching new students.
Now a firm and loyal student of Supreme Grandmaster Ciriaco Cacoy Canete, Craig saw the importance in keeping an open mind to his training and committed himself to further his studies in Aikido, Grappling and Kickboxing. It was a constant search for the common elements within each of these disciplines that enabled him to gain a great understanding of both the spiritual and physical aspects of the arts.
When asked to describe his teaching style, Master Craig often says that he “teaches by confusion”; a teaching style seemingly often used in the Philippines . Master Craig allows his classes to develop and move along at an irregular pace so that students do not get locked into a single way or approach.
After moving to Sydney in 2001, Master Craig forged good links with other respected teachers in the Western Sydney area and was able to open his own facility after four years of teaching at five different locations around the city.
Master Craig’s greatest wish is to produce students with integrity, commitment and a desire to improve.
To sum up Master Craig’s approach to life and the Martial Arts, the following quote from Albert Einstein is most appropriate:
“Try not to be a man of success but rather try to become a man of value”
- Commenced Boxing Training at age of 12 under Golden Gloves Champion Ron Symonds
- Studied Aikido periodically from age of 14.
- 1989 Commenced training in Tai Chi Chuan and Chi Gong under Sifu Jim Gibbons in Alice Springs
- Achieved third place in Northern England Tai Chi Pushing Hands (lightweight) Division
- 1990 Commenced training in Eskrima and Eskrido under Grand Master Martin Gardiner
- 1990 – 1992 trained in Hatha Yoga
- 1993 Graded to 1st Grade Black Belt Doce Pares Eskrima under Grand Master Ciriaco Cacoy Canete
- 1993 Commenced Tang Soo Do and Grappling training under Master Martin Gardiner
- August 1993 first place in lightweight division of first Interstate (SA vs. NT) Full Contact Stick fighting Tournament
- November 1993 Northern Territory lightweight stick fighting champion
- 1994 re-commenced Aikido training under Sensei Mike Petery and Sensei Marie Petery
- 1994 Achieved first place in lightweight division of first Interstate (SA vs. NT) Full Contact Stick fighting Tournament
- 1994 Northern Territory lightweight stick fighting champion
- March 1995 made first visit to the Doce pares HQ in Cebu and was promoted to 2nd Grade Black Belt – Eskrima by Grand Master Ciriaco Cacoy Canete
- March 1995 promoted to 1st Grade Black Belt – Pangamot (Filipino Ju Jitsu) in Cebu Philippines
- December 1996 promoted to 3rd Grade Black Belt – Eskrima in Cebu Philippines
- December 1996 promoted to 2nd Grade Black Belt– Pangamot (Filipino Ju Jitsu) in Cebu Philippines
- 1998 conducted Women’s Self Defence courses for the Alice Springs Youth Centre
- January 1999 promoted to 4th Grade Black Belt – Eskrima in Cebu Philippines
- January 1999 promoted to 3rd Grade Black Belt – Pangamot (Filipino Ju Jitsu) in Cebu Philippines
- January 2001 promoted to 5th Grade Black Belt – Eskrima in Cebu Philippines.
- February 2001 Founded the East Coast Doce Pares institute (E.C.D.P.I.) in Sydney NSW
- May 2002 promoted seminars in NSW for Grand Master Anthony Kleeman of Doce Pares Fighting Arts Systems
- October 2002 2nd place in Bakabakan Invitational Tournament – Single Stick fighting lightweight division
- October 2002 1st place in Bakbakan Invitational Tournament – Hagibis Grappling Competition
- 2003 W.E.K.A.F (World Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation) – Australian National lightweight stick fighting champion.
- May 2003 featured in the Australasian Martial Arts magazine Bujutsu International.
- 2004 featured in a three month special Technique Workshop feature in Blitz Magazine
- November 2003 promoted to Master (6th Grade Black Belt) – Eskrima in Cebu Philippines
- March 2004 hosted Muay Thai Boxing seminar at ECDPI HQ with Master Arjan Surachai Chai Sirisute – President of the Thai Boxing Association of U.S.A.
- August 2004 opened the ECDPI Filipino Martial Arts HQ in Guildford NSW
- November 2004 hosted seminar at ECDPI with Grand Master Ciriaco Cacoy Canete – President Cacoy Doce Pares World Federation
- November 2004 promoted to 4th Grade Black Belt – Pangamot (Filipino Ju Jitsu) in Sydney
- February 2005 conducted seminars and workshops for APA (Australian Philippine Association Inc.) Multicultural Youth Group
- May 2005 Promoted first ECDPI Invitational Eskrima Tournament in Sydney
- November 2005 hosted seminar at ECDPI with Grand Master Ciriaco Cacoy Canete – President Cacoy Doce Pares World Federation
- April 2006 participated in the Sun Moon Combined Arnis Invitational Tournament. Third place in the men’s lightweight single stick full contact sparring competition. Second place in the men’s limited armour full contact sparring division.
- November 2006 participated in the Cacoy Doce Pares World Eskrima Championships held in Cebu, Philippines – Champion of over 40’s lightweight division in both single and double stick competitions. Champion of the over 40’s Kulata Challenge – limited armour full contact stick fighting open weight division.
- September 2007 participated in the Cacoy Doce Pares World Eskrima Championships held in Jakarta Indonesia. Second place in Double Stick Full Contact Sparring – Masters Division. Third place Single Stick Full Contact Sparring – Masters Division. Third place Men’s Open Age & Weight Kulata Challenge – limited armour full contact stick fighting.
- September 2007 promoted to Senior Master (7th Grade Black Belt) – Eskrima in Jakarta
- October 2007 hosted seminar at ECDPI HQ with Grand Master Anthony Kleeman of the Doce Pares Fighting Arts Systems
- October 2007 hosted seminar at ECDPI HQ with Grand Master Bobby Toboada of Balintawak Arnis Escrima
- March 2008, inducted into Inaugural Doce Pares Hall of Fame as Chief Instructor of Doce Pares School of the Year.
- September 2008 promoted NSW seminars with Master Chuck Canete and Master John John Mac of Cacoy Doce Pares World Federation HQ Cebu.
- November 2009 participated in the Cacoy Doce Pares World Eskrima Championships held in Cebu, Philippines – third place in over 40’s lightweight single stick competitions. Champion of the over 40’s Kulata Challenge – limited armour full contact stick fighting open weight division.
- May 2010 hosted seminar at ECDPI with Grand Master Ciriaco Cacoy Canete – President Cacoy Doce Pares World Federation
Other Achievements and Training
- 1998 – Workplace Conflict; Leadership and Feedback Training
- 1998 – Roadsafe Australia – Defensive Driving and Car Control
- 2000 – Current – Senior First Aid Certification
- 2001 – Work Cover NSW Occupational Health & Safety Induction Training
- March 2004 – Train the Trainer
- August 2005 – Parramatta City Council Leadership program – Leading a Constructive Culture
- 2007 & 2008 Team member for volunteer security team for the Australian visits of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
- August 2008 Risk Management in Procurement
- 2009 Team leader for volunteer security team for the Australian visit of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
- June 2009 Project Management Improvement Training
- July 2009 MNM30505 – Certificate III in Small Mining Operations – Working Safely at Heights
- October 2009 – AUSPEC Accommodating Access – Disability Access Legislation
- 2009 – Ethics Corruption Prevention and Code of Conduct Workshop
- August 2009 – ISO 31000:2009 – ISO / IEC 31010: New Standards for the Management of Risk
- 2009 /2010 – Level 5 Leadership Development
- March 2010 – E-Learning, Privacy Legislation in the Public Service NSW
- July 2010 – Brainpower training in Change Management